Which skin conditions can be treated with pigment lasers and what types of lasers are used?
I use Q-switched (532nm and 1064nm) lasers to treat a variety of skin conditions. Some common indications for pigment laser treatment include:
- Age spots (solar lentigines)
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- Café-au-lait spots
- Nevus of Ota
- Hori's nevus
- Becker's nevus
Age spots and freckles can also be treated with Intense Pulsed Light.
Benefits of Pigment Laser Treatment
- Pigment lasers offer precise targeting of pigmented lesions, minimizing damage to surrounding tissue and reducing the risk of scarring.
- Pigment laser treatments are non-surgical and less invasive compared to other treatment options, such as cryotherapy, chemical peels or electrocautery.
- Most pigment laser treatments can be completed within half an hour, depending on the size and complexity of the area being treated.
- Patients can typically return to their normal activities soon after treatment, with only minor side effects, such as temporary redness or swelling.
- Pigment laser treatments often provide long-lasting improvement in the appearance of pigmentation issues.
Risks and Side Effects
As with any medical procedure, pigment laser treatments do carry some risks and potential side effects:
- Pain or discomfort: Some patients may experience mild pain or discomfort during the treatment, which can be managed with topical anesthetics or cooling devices.
- Redness and swelling: Temporary redness and swelling may occur after treatment but typically resolve within a few days.
- Pigment changes: Pigment laser treatments may cause temporary or permanent changes in skin pigmentation, particularly in individuals with darker skin tones. Hypopigmentation (lightening) or hyperpigmentation (darkening) can occur in some cases.
Due to the potential for complications it is always advisable to attend for a small test patch of treatment prior to treating a larger area.
Consent Form Pigment Laser
Questions about pigment lasers
What is pigment laser treatment?
How does pigment laser treatment work?
Is pigment laser treatment painful?
How many treatments are needed for optimal results?
What should I expect during the recovery period?
Are there any risks or side effects associated with pigment laser treatment?
How long do the results of pigment laser treatment last?
Is pigment laser treatment suitable for all skin types?
Can pigment laser treatment be combined with other treatments?
How much does pigment laser treatment cost?